Thursday, February 13, 2014

City Girl and Country Girl Valentine's Day Outfits- Part I

Earlier this year I played around with some great fabric I found on clearance at Walmart.  With this material I created two different dresses that show case my daughter's personality--city girl and country girl.

  These dresses were created without a purchased pattern and have sparked an interest into a new realm of sewing- pattern drafting.  I have been making garments for a while for myself and my kids without a pattern, but I have started to learn how to create a pattern and grade it for different standard sizes not just made to fit for the little one right in front of me.  There is a huge learning curve and I am just at the beginning, but it is so exciting because the possibilities are endless. 

 When I found this great coordinating cotton prints at Walmart a while back, I scooped them up.  Can you believe it was 2 yards of each print for $4!!  At $1/ yard I was able to freely play and come up with something fun for my daughter.

Today I am happy to show you the more formal outfit, the City Girl Valentine's Day look.  The first dress created was a tank bodice button up dress with a very full gathered skirt. 


The skirt is extra full and great for twirling, one of my daughter's favorite pastimes.   My daughter's requirement was that it needed to fully puff out when she twirls.  Sometimes when we are at home she adds a petticoat under and she feels extra fancy and girlie. 

In order to incorporate the coordinating smaller scale print fabric I added it along the hem and the waist.  These pearly red buttons found in my stash probably a garage sale find, are the icing on the dress.  It is probably one of my favorite accents.   Don't you just love buttons?

As part of her "City Girl" look she is wearing this great soft Minky Rose Swirl coat that I made her as part of her Christmas outfit. This coat is ultra soft and cuddly.  Just think of those Minky baby blankets that are everywhere, but turned into a coat with satin lining.  Might have to make one for myself.


The coat is a modified Simplicity 2475 pattern that is designed to be used with fleece.  

Simplicity 2745
The idea is that it is an unlined coat, but I really wanted to the coat to have a luxurious feel and a bit more weight, so I lined it with this great satin from Hobby Lobby.  If you are ever in the need for satin for costumes or lining I would recommend this Poly-Satin from Hobby Lobby.  Not only does it have a great weight, but it is machine washable and affordable. 
In order to create a lined coat, cut and sew two coats, one from minky and one from satin and sew them together.
The coat in this pattern is a little girl's dream.  The four godets, which are like triangles, add a fullness that grades out from waist to the bottom of the coat for extra twirl potential.  


This coat can twirl!




My girl has fallen in love with this City Girl outfit and has requested to wear it to school almost everyday.   Be sure to check back tomorrow to see the Country Girl Valentine's Day outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment