Friday, February 7, 2014

Orange Raisin Scones


Today I just had to make some classic scrumptious Orange Raisin Scones to go with my freshly brewed tea.  Have I mentioned I have been having fun lately with my new Keruig?  Thanks to my in-law's generous Christmas present, breakfast has been exciting. I get to brew fresh hot or over ice beverage of my choosing.  


This week I have been experimenting with tea. And when I drink tea, scones come to mind.  So I decided to whip some of these delicious fluffy Orange Raisin Scones.  Yes, I know I sound like the book, If You Give a Moose a Muffin.  

A good scone is tender and moist on the inside with a nice crust on the outside.  The bright citrus flavor in combination with plump juicy raisins give this scone two thumbs up in my house. 

Orange Raisin Cream Scones

2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter
 2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup raisins
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange zest
3/4 cup cold heavy cream
Glaze
Juice from 1/2 orange
1/2 c powdered sugar

In a food processor add the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and pulse.  Add butter and orange zest and pulse.  Pour mixture into the bowl and add beaten eggs and heavy cream.  Mix until moistened. 
Dough will look crumbly.  Fold in raisins. 

Turn out dough on floured surface. Make a dough disk that is about 9 inches across.  
Place on to a nonstick baking mat or parchment lined baking sheet.  

 Cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges but do not separate.


Bake at 350°F until golden brown about 20 to 25 minutes .
Remove the scones from the oven and let cool while you make the glaze.  

 Stir powdered sugar and orange juice together. Drizzle over scones. Serve warm or room temperature with a nice cup of  tea.  
If you have extra, store in an air tight container at room temperature a couple days.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment