Thursday, January 16, 2014

Two Ingredient Banana Oat cookies- NOT just for toddlers

]


I don't know if you have seen this "recipe" floating around Pinterest, but when it popped up on the Food Network Blog that I follow, I just had to try it.  The post actually originally came from Foodlets and Charity from Foodlets credits Oprah.  Who knows where it started but I just have to say this mixture is GENIUS!!!

It really is just 2 ripe bananas mashed up and mixed with 1 cup of oats.  Drop 1 1/2 inch balls on to a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.  You have the option of adding any mix-in you want, chia seeds, walnuts, raisins, dried chopped apricots.  On my test run I added a single chocolate chip to the top, hoping it would help if the results were less than desirable.

Picture from Foodlets
  I brought these cookies as a snack for our Destination Imagination meeting that happens immediately after school.  They needed brain food and no sugar. I set the container on the table and they were gone in less then 5 minutes.  I received all positive reviews from the group of 5-8 year-olds.  The kid seal of approval really is awesome because they were so quick to make and consist of 2 ingredients that I always usually have.  This is a great after school snack, and if your kids want more than one cookie, it is only bananas and oats.  Even if they ate half a batch, it is the same as one banana and 1/2 cup of oats. 

 For me, these make a great breakfast on the go.  I rarely have time to sit and eat a bowl of oatmeal, which I know is a healthy start to my day, but if I ate a couple of these cookies in the car while doing errands or taking kids to and from school, its kind of the same thing, right?  
ripe bananas
The only thing I would like to note is that the cookies are way yummier if you use extra ripe bananas, not just spotted but brown.  The banana flavor is more intense.  Be prepared to make more because these cookies go fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment