Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Joy of Keeping Chickens


Some people might think I am crazy, but I think this picture is amazingly beautiful.  Yes, I know it is eggs!  There is something inherently beautiful about a full basket of freshly collected eggs.  Just look at all those colors and sizes!  It makes me so happy every time I open the refrigerator and see the bowl of these gems.

Collecting eggs has been especially fun for my kids.  We try to figure out and match the egg to the hen.  Having a variety of eggs has solved one of our meal time dilemmas.  My daughter sometimes refuses protein in the morning.  Now she happily picks out a small egg and is excited to eat it.
2013 Chicks with Mama Hen

"The Girls"
Both kids now freely eat eggs anytime. I think it is partly the joy of raising the hens from chicks and the task of gathering the eggs everyday.  Raising your own food brings a thankfulness and appreciation that cannot be found with going to the Megamart.  I take comfort in knowing because we pasture raise our chickens, I am not only feeding my family a superior quality protein, but they also taste better.
Ingredients to a Luscious Coconut Custard- Courtesy of Coconut Love 

Also, in the summer when the eggs are plentiful, we eat them a couple times a week for dinner.  Eggs pair well with the fresh garden bounty.  More egg recipes to come.
Snuggling with "Rainbow Dash"

Some people say that chickens are the "gateway animal" and that getting more livestock is inevitable.  I would agree.  Keeping chickens overall has been easy (despite the predator attacks) and rewarding with fresh eggs daily.  We will see.  Have you thought about keeping chickens? If you have a flock, what other kind of livestock do you keep?

1 comment:

  1. Somebody is a My Little Pony fan!! Rainbow Dash... Eggs are so versatile. You are so lucky that you can keep chickens!

    ReplyDelete